Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mima's Mariposa Planter

We had a great Mother's Day weekend.  It was a little bit hectic, due to some unexpected circumstances, but it was still pretty wonderful.  My kids signed a lovely card, and my husband surprised me with tickets to a Paul McCartney concert.  Yayyyyyy!!!!  I was also able to spend a little time with my mother-in-law and her mother.  My mom also cooked up an awesome meal and made my favorite cherry cream pie!

I wanted to share with you how I made a cute little planter for my husband's grandmother with some materials from the Dollar Tree.  When I gave it to her, she kept telling me how beautiful the mariposas were.

Here is a list of the materials:
-One or two bunches of the butterfly bouquets at Dollar Tree
-Faux copper planter from Dollar Tree
-Twine
-Glue gun
-Scissors
-River rocks (or vase fillers of your choice)
-Silk flowers
-Or, instead of rocks and silk flowers, use it as a real planter


I separated all of the butterflies and leaves from the bouquets, and I snipped off the little connection pieces on the back of the butterflies.  It made it much easier to glue the butterflies onto the planter.


I took one set of leaves and glued it on first, and I then simply glued the butterfly on top of it.  I continued that pattern in a single line the entire way around the planter.

I grabbed some twine and glued it to the bottom of the planter.  I went almost halfway up.


I wiped off the excess glue strings with a damp paper towel, filled the planter with rocks, and added some lovely yellow flowers.  


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Elise! Yes, they are definitely one of my favorites!

      Delete

Would love to hear from you!